Saturday, August 27, 2011

C. K. Barrett (1917-2011)

I am saddened to hear of the passing of C. K. Barrett.  Barrett was the first world-class scholar that I had the opportunity to meet back in my seminary days.  I remember him as a kindly British gentleman. This picture on Ben Witherington's blog is closer to how I remember him.  We've lost a giant in the NT world.

Barrett did not write any monographs or commentaries on Hebrews, but in 1954 he wrote a very influential article on "The Eschatology of the Epistle to the Hebrews" in The Background of the New Testament and Its Eschatology, edited by W. D. Davies and D. Daube.

He also wrote "The Christology of Hebrews" in Who Do You Say That I Am?: Essays on Christology, edited by Mark Allan Powell and David Bauer in 1999.

No comments:

Post a Comment